Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Workdays

This is a posting that I'm making for all of my morning class blogs:

Matthew... What the heck is a workday?

I am so glad you asked!

I call, at random, for workdays in each of my morning classes when I'm feeling like the kids are getting a bit antsy sitting in those desks day after day and/or they are tired of hearing me yap yap yap about math. A workday is exactly what it sounds like... a day of work, and nothing else. It usually begins with a brief meeting where I lay out the requirements and expectations for the day and the assignment they will be completing. Usually, they are allowed to leave my room and work anywhere in the middle school (including tutor rooms if available and sometimes outside, weather permitting). They are also allowed to work together, provided that the partnership/relationship is mutually beneficial and all parties complete and turn in their own assignments. Finally, most work not completed during a workday is to be completed at night for homework.

I hope this helps with clarity on what a workday is! Have a great evening!