Saturday, August 30, 2008

Matthew's Assignment Example


The Next Ten Minutes


“Will you share your life with me? For the next ten minutes?” It was like looking down a long tunnel, and not being able to breathe. Words couldn’t form in my mouth, my mind was blank. I was freezing and my teeth were chattering and I couldn’t figure out what Rick was talking about. The high temperature for the day at over 11,000 feet above sea level was around 0 celsius. And then those lyrics: The next ten minutes. This picture was taken at Jungfraujoch, in the Alps of Switzerland, right after Rick proposed to me… and I accepted. These are our hands, of course, and our rings. The white space surrounding them is actually the snow of the glacier we were standing on. This picture represents the best of my summer bouncing around Europe—the memory of a lifetime. It symbolizes love, companionship, trust, faith, fun, passion, commitment… and one heck of a journey!

I am excited to be beginning another year at CFS. It is my fourth year here after graduating with a degree in Middle Grades Education from NC State University the same number of years ago. One of the most important reasons I teach at CFS, other than believing in the philosophy and mission of the school, is the support and love and acceptance that I receive… which is another reason why I chose this picture to represent my summer. ☺